Sunday, February 22, 2009

Let me be more specific....

I guess I should have been more specific when I wrote that we were going to follow BW. We are fully aware of our daughters medical needs and would never do anything that would put her in jeopardy. In our time at home it is apparent that she likes a routine/schedule as do we. I realize that things WILL arise, and things will change. We feel that it is important to have the same parenting style when caring for Lily so she learns what to expect. I want her environment to be as structured as possible. Hence the "Eat, wake/play, Sleep" pattern. We are NOT on board with the CIO (cry it out) theory. I would never allow her to cry for more than 5 minutes. In that case, I would know without a doubt that she was fed, changed, and not ill in anyway. As far as her feedings go... typically she eats every 3 hours. If she is hungry at 2.5.. I feed her. She is a growing baby and there is no way that she will be deprived. We like the fact that there is a routine. We can watch her closely in how she responds. My husband and I try to have a plan in life... for us "winging it" causes chaos. Yesterday morning I started her on her "wake-up" time. She ate, we played for a long time and then I put her down for a nap. She slept for about an hour and a half and awoke right on cue for her next feed. I tried to do this the entire day; but, I followed her lead. If she didn't want to "play" after a feed then I put her down for a nap. We had minimal crying/fussiness and we all had a very good day/night. She woke up with in 30 minutes of her "wake-up" time and we started the cycle again. Currently, she is napping. I put her down awake and she cried out in frustration once, her binky fell out. This also gives me an opportunity to really listen to her cries, to learn her needs better. I realize that "some" people do not use common sense when following BW or any other "program" for that matter, please be assured that we are not one of them. :) We sincerely appreciate the concern. God Bless!

No comments: