Monday, September 13, 2010

Calling fellow sewers.......

What type of sewing machine do you have? Do you "love" it? I have a Singer... its about 5/6 years old and obviously has not been used much. I was greatly disappointed to learn that the additional 50 stitches that it is supposed to stitch... don't work. :( Bummer! You see, my machine uses the "old" Cam/Disk to change the stitch pattern. I called our local Singer repair shop that ironically is just around the corner and the nice gentleman that I spoke to informed me that I could probably get it repaired BUT, my machine just wasn't one that was built to last. :/ I think that he called it a "Big Box" machine. Meaning... they sell them at places like Sears and Walmart. I thought that I would be "okay" with what I have but my mom warned me that I would quickly outgrow this machine and its abilities.... she knows me well after all! LOL We don't have a lot of money to spend so... Babylock is completely out of the question. ;) I am looking for a machine that has multiple stitch patterns (one that mimics a serger stitch) auto thread, and is able to handle thicker material in case I want to learn to quilt or hem jeans or reupholster our furniture... LOL just kidding on that last one. ;) I have been eyeing a " Brother 60-Stitch Computerized Sewing Machine, CS-6000i " I have read a ton of reviews and it sounds good... it is not overly expensive.... after-all this really wasn't in our budget BUT, I do have a birthday coming up in a couple of weeks sooooooooooooo....... Ken is totally on board. :D

Lily is starting to feel better... Thank goodness and the probiotics seem to be helping.. YEAH!!! She is returning to her rather active self! :D

5 comments:

Brad Gibbs said...

I just has wanted to let you know that your blog has given me hope. My wife is 21 weeks pregnant and our baby, Claire Elizabeth, has enlarged ventricles (21mm and 17mm). We are currently in that time frame where the doctors are encouraging termination... we aren't giving in to them! God put Claire here for a reason and we aren't going to interrupt that. Please pray for us! I'm Brad, my wife is Amy. Your daughter is gorgeous and I'm so happy for y'all! My email is bgibbs73@gmail.com just in case you have any advice for us. Thanks!

Jennifer said...

I don't have a lot of sewing machine advice. I had been using an old Kenmore that was about 25-30 years old until my husband surprised me with a new machine this past Christmas. He went to a local quilt store and had the ladies there help him pick it out based on what he told them I did. He got me a Bernette and spent much more than I ever would have on myself. I absolutely love the machine, though.

The Brother you're looking at looks really good. It has a bunch of good reviews at Amazon. Picking a machine is so hard! I was driving myself crazy last fall looking at all the options and reading reviews.

And a note to Brad: Those measurements are what our son's measurements were in early ultrasounds. His increased to a combined measurement over 50mm. He is now a happy and healthy almost-3-year-old. Good for you to not give in to termination! They have no idea how these kids will turn out!

Jennifer said...

Brad: I mistyped. Our son's combined measurement was over 85mm when he was born.

Jill S. said...

I just recently upgraded to a Bernina; but got mine from a bernina dealer who buys used bernina's and gets them ready for re-sale. I got a 1530d and LOVE it! I'm still learning how it works, maybe that is something you can check into; getting a machine that is refurbished with a warrenty from a local dealer??

Be careful! You will be addicted soon, if you aren't already!

Unknown said...

Jill...
I went with a Brother thid time around but I have my eye on a Bernina for sure! We have a sew-vac dealer close by so..... one never knows what the future holds. Ohhhh... I'm addicted already! The ladies at the fabric store know Lily and I well already!